Saturday 9 January 2016

The Egremont, island cruising club vessel

Here is my latest painting. A black and white acrylic of a training vessel in the Kingsbridge Estuary. The boat is used to train sailors in its former life it was a ferry. The boat is rusting and is mode all year round at this birth. I love the textures of the rusting vessel and the history of it people would stay all weekend on the boat and sail during the days. It's been a long time ambition to paint this boat and only now do I have the capability and confidence to attempt it. I'm really pleased with the results I've managed to capture a difficult subject on a small scale with delicate brushwork and very fine light. I have enhanced the strong light coming from the right hand side and this gives the painting I real atmosphere of late summer sun striking the rusted form. This painting has become one of the most photographic works I have produced so far the aim was not photorealism but to capture the vessel as it is now. The boat is in a sorry state and desperately needs some TLC. This was one of the reasons I wanted to paint the boat now it may be gone soon and it's been a part of the estuary for many years. Many people have a strong connection with the boat through staying on it whilst training and that kind of connection with a place and boat was what interested me and brought me to the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment